Friday, October 29, 2004

Wisdom of the Country Music

There is just something about country music. It is like a glass of ice-cold sun tea on a summer afternoon in Texas or laying on a blanket staring at big, white, fluffy clouds on warm day in Rocky Mountain National Park or reading a great book curled up in front of the fireplace in a cabin in the mountains. It is something so nostalgic to me. When I was a kid, I didn't like country music.....actually I would have said that I hated it. My aunt would play it in the car and I would roll my eyes and sigh with disgust. She would always say, "You don't like it now, but things will change, someday you will like country music." I never believed her, but here I am listening to Tim McGraw on LAUNCHcast Radio while writing this entry about country music. Oh, the irony of it all! :)

Anyway, some people make fun of me for liking this music, but you know what? I don't care. I like it. I like country music. There, I said it. There's no shame in that game. Yes, some of it is cheesey and twangy. But, there is just something about it. I think part of it is the fact that music in general can be so powerful. When you hear a song that you haven't heard in forever, it takes you back to that time in your life. I think that is why I enjoy country music. Some songs remind me of my childhood, some remind me of other times in my life, silly inside jokes I have with my sister and some songs evoke a sense of patriotism and pride in being who I am. All of these things have become greater in importance as I am getting older and because I am so far removed from many familar things - family, friends, culture, homeland. As I listen to these songs, I can relate and feel like the singer is relating to me, something that is not necessarily of part of my daily life in a foreign country.

4 Comments:

Blogger Martin GD said...

Firstly may I thank you for your entry on my blog.

Secondly, Country Music? Oh dear - I understand the emotional response that music can create. The fond memories of times past, of loves, of tenderness .... but some guy singing about how his best friends dog has run away with his wife down by the old railway yard and all he has left is this beaten up old guitar and a bottle of hooch .... my my I must dig out my old Hank Williams recordings and get me some good old boy nostalgia.

Only pulling your leg :) ....... Freedom of taste is non-taxable .... as yet.
Martin aka Green Dragon (United Kingdom)

4:34 PM  
Blogger Davida said...

Haha! Yes....I know my 16 year old self is shaking her head and rolling her eyes at that entry, but there is just something about it. :)

8:42 AM  
Blogger Martin GD said...

LOL, I won't hold it against you, somebody has to like that music. Thanks for the comment(s) on my blog - hope you do listen to the show, I'll even give you a mention on my next show - but that won't be online for a couple of weeks as all shows are pre recorded and streamed about 2 weeks in arrears. I think you'll find the music "slightly" different from country!

And yes I did get up too early for a Saturday.

Stay cool
GD xx

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Davida! Great blogger, you are! Can't wait to read more - keep posting! And the light fixture story... classic!

Jen (yeah, your roomie!)

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited country map