Friday, October 29, 2004

Wisdom of the Country Music

There is just something about country music. It is like a glass of ice-cold sun tea on a summer afternoon in Texas or laying on a blanket staring at big, white, fluffy clouds on warm day in Rocky Mountain National Park or reading a great book curled up in front of the fireplace in a cabin in the mountains. It is something so nostalgic to me. When I was a kid, I didn't like country music.....actually I would have said that I hated it. My aunt would play it in the car and I would roll my eyes and sigh with disgust. She would always say, "You don't like it now, but things will change, someday you will like country music." I never believed her, but here I am listening to Tim McGraw on LAUNCHcast Radio while writing this entry about country music. Oh, the irony of it all! :)

Anyway, some people make fun of me for liking this music, but you know what? I don't care. I like it. I like country music. There, I said it. There's no shame in that game. Yes, some of it is cheesey and twangy. But, there is just something about it. I think part of it is the fact that music in general can be so powerful. When you hear a song that you haven't heard in forever, it takes you back to that time in your life. I think that is why I enjoy country music. Some songs remind me of my childhood, some remind me of other times in my life, silly inside jokes I have with my sister and some songs evoke a sense of patriotism and pride in being who I am. All of these things have become greater in importance as I am getting older and because I am so far removed from many familar things - family, friends, culture, homeland. As I listen to these songs, I can relate and feel like the singer is relating to me, something that is not necessarily of part of my daily life in a foreign country.

2 Comments:

Blogger Davida said...

Haha! Yes....I know my 16 year old self is shaking her head and rolling her eyes at that entry, but there is just something about it. :)

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Davida! Great blogger, you are! Can't wait to read more - keep posting! And the light fixture story... classic!

Jen (yeah, your roomie!)

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited country map