Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Books on my Bookshelf

Amongst all the other random crap on my bookshelf (stuff animals, candles, CDs, and the odd DVD) the following is a list of the books on my bookshelf:

2nd shelf:
A Systems Approach to Small Group Interaction (Ninth Edition)
Business Ethics
Fugitive From the Cubicle Police (Dilbert comics)
Seven Years of Highly Defective People (more Dilbert comics)
The Dilbert Principle

3rd shelf:
One 2 One (this is discipleship material from the ministry I used to work with)
Basic 7 Steps to Successful Fasting & Prayer (hmm…I need to read this and figure out what I’ve been doing wrong)
Amy Carmichael: Let the Little Children Come
Mere Christianity
The Silmarillion
Extravagant Grace
The Hobbit
Brit-Think, Ameri-Think
Finding God in the Lord of the Rings
Bruchko
The Heavenly Man
Red Herrings and White Elephants
Praying Through Turkey
Eternity in Their Hearts
I Wrote This Book on Purpose
The Fracture Zone
The Life and Teachings of Christ Volume 3
Daughters of Islam
Into the Water
How to Write Missionary Letters
Survival Kit for Overseas Living
Blue Like Jazz
Survival of the Fittest
Survival for Busy Women
How the Irish Saved Civilization
The Gifts of the Jews
Home Cell Group Explosion (yes…not what you think it would be…there are no homemade bomb recipes in here…sorry to disappoint)
Every Nation in our Generation (another book from that ministry)
You’re as Healed as You are Saved
2 copies of Biblical Foundations (step two in the discipleship process, after One 2 One)
From Dreams to Destiny
The Decline and Fall of the Ottoman Empire
The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership (I think I threw up a little in my mouth as I typed this)
Developing Intimacy with God
Your Best Life Now
Karoca gre

4th shelf:
Jim and Casper Go to Church
You’re in Charge, Now What?
Business by the Book
Leaving Microsoft to Change the World
Halide’s Gift
LOTR – The Fellowship of the Ring
LOTR – The Two Towers
LOTR – The Return of the King
Langenscheidt’s Universal Dictionary – Croatian
A Book of Grace
My Utmost for His Highest
The Promise of God’s Power
God’s Words of Life
Laughter for a Woman’s Soul
Cry For Love
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
What’s So Amazing About Grace?
Divided by a Common Language
Captivating
Visioneering
The Winning Attitude (something I obviously don’t have, haha!!)
Boundaries
Language Acquisition Made Practical

This does not include the books I am currently reading: unChrisitian, People of the Book, and Three Cups of Tea (I thought there was one more, but now I can’t remember…oops).

4 Comments:

Blogger Shawn said...

So, Um, would it offend you if I told you I threw up a little in my mouth every time I read a title to a leadership development book on your shelf? There is one book I cannot stand to see at the book store and want to cry every time I see it. "Jesus CEO," or anything else written by John Maxwell. I mean seriously, Jesus is not really a good person to look to if you are desiring to run a business, especially in a capitalist society.

I was also reminded that someone has both my Screwtape Letters, Mere Christianity, Simply Christian, and Forgotten Ways. I swear there is something wrong with letting a fellow believer borrow a book, because they never return them. Oh, yeah Adrianne has my hard cover copy of "The Shack." Yep that's another one...

One other question. Do you have a facebook? if so friend me and we can be pseudo-online friends.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Davida said...

Nope. It would not offend me one little bit. Quite honestly, if you did't have such a reaction I would be very suspicious of you. I'm slightly offended that I own a John Maxwell book, but I have a problem with throwing books away. Hey! Just had a thought...maybe I could burn it instead...hmm...still feels a bit wrong. hehe.

It is funny, when I first tried to read Mere Christianity years and years ago, I really didn't get it or like it very much, so I didn't read it at that time, but last spring I had a Business Ethics class and we read it (i'm finishing my degree at a Christian University). Anyway, I SO loved it this time around and absolutely adore Lewis as an author.

The answer to your one other question is yes. :-)

8:11 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Business ethics, Christian university, military intelligence... Know any other really good oxymoron's?

"Simply Christian" by N.T. Wright is a really good book as well. It is kind of like an updated version of "Mere Christianity."
No reason to burn the book. You can always donate it to a thrift store which is a lot like sending it to the junkyard. Never mind don't do that either, someone else might actually spend money on it. My brain hurts...

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why so down on Leadership Development? Why so down on Maxwell? Would love to hear your thoughts, I hope you will share them. thanks

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited country map